Preparing to report
As reporting deadlines fast approach, here’s a reminder of some useful tools we’ve developed to assist you in submitting your reports:
- National Guidebook – containing useful hints and tips for reporting, as well as detailed information on the packaging and printed paper you need to report on for stewardship programs in British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Ontario.Click here to access the National Guidebook
- National Material List – as part of the National Guidebook, we have created one online list for all programs, providing a quick reference guide to help you understand what materials you need to report on for each program.Click here to access the National Material List
- Portal User Guide – we`ve made several improvements to the WeRecycle portal to make reporting easier and more streamlined. Read the portal user guide to help understand the new features and to assist you as you fill in your reports
For further information about reporting, membership agreements and voluntary stewards, materials from the reporting webinar we held on March 20 can be viewed here.
New Primary Contact Change Request Form
Stewards wishing to change their company’s primary contact information for any CSSA-related program need to submit a Primary Contact Change Form. You can access the form here.
|Multi-Material BC (MMBC)||Report submission for all stewards||May 31|
|Multi-Material Stewardship Western (MMSW)||Voluntary steward registration
Report submission for all stewards
|Multi-Material Stewardship Manitoba (MMSM)||Report submission for all stewards||May 31|
|Stewardship Ontario (SO)||Report submission for all stewards||May 31|
Regional Programs – News and Updates
Multi-Material British Columbia
- MMBC Nearing Launch – The MMBC program is set to launch May 19 – serving 1.25 million households in 88 communities. Read more here. A promotion and education campaign to introduce MMBC’s recycling program to British Columbians launched on April 21 and features advertising in newspapers, radio advertising, and advertising on TV (view the ads on YouTube). In addition, a new resident-friendly website has launched atwww.RecyclingInBC.ca to help British Columbians understand more about their recycling and what happens to it. A social media strategy utilizing Facebook and Twitter has also launched (Facebook / Twitter).
- New Membership Agreement – The updated Membership Agreement for MMBC was distributed on March 31. Click here to read about the new agreement and download a copy. The revised agreement is a result of insightful steward and industry association feedback that we received. Moving forward, CSSA will consider revisions every Q4, but stewards are welcome to provide feedback throughout the year, all of which will be collated and reviewed.
- MMBC Announces Post-Collector Service Provider – MMBC is very pleased to announce that Green by Nature EPR (GBN) has been selected to manage the post-collection system for MMBC’s packaging and printed paper recycling program. GBN is a newly formed organization founded by BC recycling leaders Cascade Recovery, Emterra Environmental and Merlin Plastics. Read the announcement here.
- Reminder – MMBC’s office has moved. MMBC`s new address is: 230-171 Esplanade West, North Vancouver, BC, V7M 3J9. Please ensure you update your contact information.
Multi-Material Stewardship Western
- Introduction to MMSW Information Session – On March 18, MMSW held an information session in Saskatoon (and via webinar) for businesses to introduce them and help them understand more about Saskatchewan’s Household Packaging and Paper Stewardship Program Regulations and how they can participate in MMSW’s program. The webinar, presentation and a Q&A are all available here.
- The Membership Agreement for MMSW is now available on the MMSW website. MMSW’s Membership Agreement is consistent with MMBC’s Membership agreement and reflects the latest improvements made to MMBC’s agreement based on recent suggestions from the steward community. There are of course some minor differences that are required to reflect the Saskatchewan Regulation. Click here to access the MA.
- Upcoming Steward Outreach – MMSW continues to reach out to businesses impacted by Saskatchewan’s new recycling regulations. A webinar on the Membership Agreement is scheduled for May 13th, 10am – 11:30 am (SK time) and 12:00pm – 1:30 pm (ET). Businesses supplying packaging and/or paper to residents in Saskatchewan are invited to formalize their relationship with MMSW by signing a Membership Agreement. In order to fully understand the agreement, businesses are encouraged to attend this webinar where the terms and conditions of the Membership Agreement and the intent behind key clauses contained in it will be reviewed. To register for the Membership Agreement Webinar click here.
- MMSW website – We are currently in the process of updating the MMSW website, which will be a source of useful information on MMSW’s plan and contain links to all the various information, documents and tools you’ll need to participate in the MMSW stewardship program for packaging and printed paper.
Multi-Material Stewardship Manitoba
- New Reporting Portal – A reminder to MMSM stewards that all reporting has been transitioned from the MMSM portal to the CSSA WeRecycle portal. This can be accessed at https://werecycle.cssalliance.ca/. For any questions regarding the portal please contact your Steward Services Team on 1-888-980-9549 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Encouraging residents to recycle more –MMSM launched a new P&E campaign in the Spring with the aim of encouraging Manitobans to recycle more and recycle better. See the example of the creative on the right, and on MMSM’s resident-focused website: www.simplyrecycle.ca.
- Steward payments – All payments are now processed centrally by CSSA. Please ensure that you send any cheques payable to Multi-Material Stewardship Manitoba to 1 St. Clair Ave. West, 7th Floor, Toronto, ON M4V 1K6. For electronic funds transfer (EFT), please wire payments to: CIBC, 1 Queen St. East, Toronto, ON M5C 2W5. Bank: 010. Branch: 00902. Account: 8503915.
- Fee Setting Methodology Consultation – On March 20, Stewardship Ontario hosted a webinar on potential changes to the fee setting methodology. Click here to view the webinar and to find more information. The deadline for providing feedback on the proposed fee setting methodology was April 25. Stewardship Ontario will be preparing a summary report of the feedback received and will share this with the steward community.
- 2013 Fees Applied to 2014 Invoices – 2014 Blue Box Rules have not yet been approved by Waste Diversion Ontario’s Board of Directors due to the uncertainty that currently surrounds the negotiations with municipalities on the 2014 steward obligation. Those negotiations are now in arbitration, and fees that reflect the actual obligation cannot be calculated until the outcome of the arbitration is known. Therefore, as an interim measure, we must apply the 2013 Fee Schedule rates to the calculation of stewards’ 2014 quarterly invoices, in accordance with Section 5.2 of the Blue Box Rules. Read more about this situation here.
- The first set of 2014 invoices were sent out to stewards in early April. Click here to view the 2013 fee rates.
These past few months have been incredibly busy as further preparations in advance of the MMBC launch in May have continued, and steward outreach for the MMSW program started.
The support, feedback, consultation and input we’ve received from steward organizations and industry associations have been extremely helpful over the past months and we hope this level of engagement continues.
As always, please let us know if you have any suggestions for what you’d like to see in future CSSA updates, or any general comments or questions. As a steward run, owned and funded organization, all of us at CSSA want to ensure that you are getting the best service from us and that we are doing all we can to help you in your participation in stewardship programs in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.